Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I'm Halfway There

          I've always been a counter. I would drive my friends crazy at sports practices because I would be the one saying, "Well, we are 20% done but after we do 2 more we will be 40% done, etc.". They would beg me to please keep my numbers to myself because they did not want to hear my extremely precise breakdown. But that has always been my way. As I swim down the pool, I consider the percentage and the fraction of the workout we have done, how much we have left.
          I hate to count out my exchange year this way, but it's so much a part of who I am, that I do anyway. And counting gives me perspective on how far I've come and how much I've accomplished. 
          Today is my exact halfway point. 152 days already lived here, 152 left to live. Tomorrow is 5 months since my plane landed here and 5 months from Friday, I will be on a plane once again, this time headed in the opposite direction, with 10 months of memories instead of 10 months of dreams. 
          When I flew back from Istanbul with my family yesterday, I found myself back in the Istanbul airport, where I had not been since the morning I first flew to Aydin to meet my host family. It was a huge sense of déjà vu, checking our bags and going through security, and weirdly enough, ending up flying out of the exact same gate we did almost 5 months ago. As I sat at the gate, this time with my host family instead of the other exchange students, I couldn't help but think of how much has changed. 
          These first 5 months have been some of the hardest of my life but they have also been incredibly worth it. I've learned a lot and I've changed a lot and I really like the person I've become. The little things don't get me down anymore, laughing at myself is a lot easier, and I no longer doubt my abilities in whatever I'm doing. 
           I know that the second half of my year is going to bring its fair share of amazing times and terrible times, but I'm ready to face it. I'm ready and excited to continue the life I've started here. And I know that on July 6th, when that plane takes off, I will be ready to go home, but a large part of my heart is always going to remain here. Turkey has captured my heart and my love and part of me will always stay here. 
          I can't wait to see what the next 5 months have in store for me. My life here is just getting started. 


I will never get tired of the beauty here. There is just something about the sunsets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment