Sunday, June 14, 2015

My Last Day of School

          This last Friday was my last day of school here in Turkey. It was my last day of junior year and my last day of school as a student at Adnan Menderes. I spent so much time at school during this last year that the idea that tomorrow I'm not going to get up and walk there with my host sister and have another normal school day still has not registered with me. School was where I made my wonderful friends, where I learned Turkish, where I laughed and where I smiled. I am very, very sad that my time at Adnan Menderes has ended but I am so thankful for everything going to school there provided me, and as far as last days go, I had a pretty great one. 
          Me and some of my friends spent the first half of the day sitting in the school gardens and talking as all the students eagerly awaited receiving their report cards after lunch. After lunch, our class president said goodbye and we took a class picture for me to have. Everyone was standing on the tables in our classroom and we were all laughing as we took the picture and it reminded why I loved my class. There was always laughter and smiles from my classmates and I will miss that so much. By that point, I was crying and had to start saying goodbye to my classmates. After lots of hugs, many tears, and promises to come back one day soon, we went outside for our last flag ceremony of the year. 
         At the beginning of our year, Priya and I got up in front of the school and introduced ourselves during the ceremony. On Friday, we got up in front of everyone once again and said goodbye. We were marveling over how far we have come since that day at the beginning of the year as we waited to give our speeches. On that day back in September, we were so scared and our shaking voices were barely able to stumble through a basic introduction. But this time, we were able to thank our school for everything they had done for us and we weren't scared at all. It was a really wonderful moment for me and helped me to realize just how far I have come in these last 9 1/2 months. 
          After school ended, the goodbyes continued and we had a little meeting with our principal and some of our teachers where we talked and ate a cake that they had bought for us. It was really nice to talk with them and thank them for everything this year. It was a very nice ending to a sad but wonderful day. 


With two of my best friends at school. 


11-A. The best class I ever could have asked for. 


Me and Priya with our celebratory cake. 

          With the end of school, it really sunk in that my exchange year is coming to an end. I have three weeks left in Turkey and I can't comprehend how little time remains. But I have every intention of thoroughly enjoying the time I have left and I will certainly keep you all up to date on my last few weeks. As always thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment