Wednesday, May 27, 2015

May

          The month of May was my busiest month yet and was so wonderful for so many reasons. 
          I visited the ancient city of Ephesus with one of the other YES Abroad students. Seeing the ruins was absolutely amazing and I couldn't believe I was finally getting to see it in real life instead of just in pictures. I also had a really exciting moment when I met a few exchange students from Poland and was able to help them talk with another girl on the train by translating from English into Turkish. It was a truly wonderful moment to be able to help others make connections in the language I have been trying so hard to learn. 


Me and Elsa in front of one of the most famous ruins at Ephesus.  

          My host family celebrated Mother's Day with a trip to the beach town of Kuşadası to spend the day with the whole family. My host dad made mangal, Turkish barbecue, and we all laughed and ate and enjoyed our time together. 
          I was able to visit Istanbul with my classmates to tour colleges and see the city. It was interesting to visit some different colleges and see what some of the differences between American colleges and the colleges here were. We also got to see some of the most famous sites of Turkey including the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, and the Basilica Cistern. I also got to spend some quality time with my classmates which I am so glad for as my departure date draws ever closer.


With friends at our restaurant on the Bosphorus Strait. 


Experiencing the wonder of the Blue Mosque. 


With all my wonderful classmates. 

          I have gotten into a routine of volunteering at a local preschool. It is always such a joy to be able to help out the teachers there and to get to talk with the different children. 
          Most recently, I was able to go to my school's graduation ceremony. With the exception of the performance of my city's traditional dance, it was very similar to American graduations. I loved seeing the new class of graduates celebrate and to join in the excitement of my class as they became seniors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment