Monday, May 11, 2015

My Trip to Samsun

          A few weekends ago, I was lucky enough to get to go visit the three other YES Abroad students in their host city of Samsun. Samsun is a city of over 600,000 people on the coast of the Black Sea.
          I left from Aydin in the morning of Thursday, the 23rd of April and began what turned into a bit of an adventurous day of travel. Between the train ride, a layover and delay in Istanbul, and a mix up getting picked up in Samsun, my day got very long, but it all turned out just fine. 


The sky was so pretty on my flight into Samsun. 

          On Friday, I got to see a lot of the city and meet a few Rotary exchange students who are also living in Samsun this year. We went to the city center, walked by the coast, went bowling at the biggest mall in the city, and walked around the biggest shopping street. That night, all 4 of us exchange students stayed at my friend Elsa's house and we helped her to make a traditional Jewish Shabbat meal. I really enjoyed seeing a little bit of an important cultural event for her and the food was absolutely delicious. 


The Black Sea. 


The view from Elsa's house. So beautiful!


Me and Elsa! (And our Jewish meal but you can't see it)

           On Saturday, we all went out to breakfast together and then headed back to the city center. Our plan was to go to a hamam but it was closed, so instead we went to a park right on the water that also has a monument to the Amazin warriors, who lived where Samsun now is some say. It was beautiful by the water and cool to see the park. 


Me and Elsa!


Me and Rowan and the sea


With the statue in honor of the Amazon warriors


They change the flower pots at this park everyday to show the date. This was the one year anniversary of becoming a YES finalist!


The sunset by the sea was gorgeous

          On Sunday, we went to a wedding in the morning and went back to the city center for the afternoon. I had not brought any nice clothes with me, so we had a bit of an adventure figuring out what to wear but it worked out and I had a really lovely time at the wedding and talking with some of Elsa's host mom's friends who were there. After that, we went to the bazaar and then to an amusement park where we all hung out and talked. That night, we went out to dinner at a delicious restaurant that overlooked the whole city. We were there as the sun set and watching the lights come on in the city was absolutely gorgeous.


Elsa and I for the wedding


With Samsun in the background


With a famous statue in another park. 

          Monday morning, we went to a nearby town and explored a little there. A very nice old man showed us how he makes baskets and then gave us one and we got to go to an extremely old mosque that is said to have been made completely without nails. After that, I had to go to the airport to head home. I ended up meeting several Americans in the airport who were heading to Ephesus and really enjoyed being able to help them out. 


The man showing us how he makes his baskets 


In the really old mosque. 

          I had an absolutely wonderful weekend in Samsun and wish I could have stayed longer. Seeing my friends was amazing and I loved getting to see a different part of Turkey. 
           Thanks for reading! Have a good week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment