Sunday, November 23, 2014

Lots of Rain, A Few Trips to Izmir, and a Turkey!

          In the weeks since I last posted about my day to day life, a lot has gone on, so I will try and hit the highlights in this post. 
          From October 30th-November 14th, my classmates had an exam everyday. I did not have to take any of these exams except for English, so me and the other exchange student at my school would usually hang out in the cafeteria and talk or I would study Turkish when she took her exam. My English exam was very easy for me, but as I kept reminding my classmates, "Ingilizce konuşuyorum" ( I speak English). I got a 96 on it although the questions I got wrong were technically right as well, so I should have gotten a 100, but I really didn't care enough to bring it up to my teacher. Some things that I've found that are very different about exams here compared to in the US is that the exams are very short ( just one page front and back. My classmates were horrified when I told them my biology exam last year was 26 pages.) and grades are not at all private here. In the US, usually people share their grades but if you don't want to, you don't have to. Here, the teachers read out what everyone got on their test to the entire class so no matter how you did, everyone will know about it, which was very surprising for me. 
          I've been told that winters here are mild but rainy and I am beginning to see the truth to that. It has rained several times in the last couple of weeks. Being from New Mexico, I was overjoyed at getting to watch and walk through lots of rain. That is, until I stepped in a giant puddle and soaked my shoes completely. But I still love the rain. I've finally been given a reason to break out my super cute umbrella and I am loving it. It was raining so hard on Thursday, that we could not cross the street on our way to school because the water was too deep, so we had to call my host father to come pick us up and drive us to school. The entrance to the school garden also had about a foot of water in it that many students had to wade through to get into school. 
          Last Friday, the 14th, my class had a little Welcome/yay, you are still here party for me. Everyone brought food and we just ate and hung out which was lots of fun. Most people ended up bringing cake, but it was really delicious, so I was ok with it. I also just felt very happy and content that day and I am so grateful to my class for taking me into their little family.  


My classmates enjoying the food at the party. 

          Last Saturday, the 15th, I went up to Izmir where we met up with the AFS kids in Izmir and many of their families. We had brunch and then we had more orientation, which none of us were aware was going to happen. We also celebrated various people's birthdays and I got to talk to some people I haven't seen since Istanbul which was great fun. 


The sunset from our brunch/orientation site in Izmir. 


Brenna and Leah with their birthday cakes. 

          Yesterday, we again went to Izmir, this time to go olive picking. The group from Aydin ended up being a bit late because of some transportation issues, but we were there in time to help with all the picking and get some really delicious food. We all went around picking the olives up off the ground first and then setting up tarps under them and shaking/pulling/using comb-like things to get the other olives off. Between all of us there, we cleared nearly all the trees and filled up many large bags full of olives. I worked with one of the exchange students from Belgium and had a wonderful time talking with her about exchange and lots of other things. I also learned how to count in Flemish, although I only remember 1, 7, and 10 now. After we finished picking, some of the people were spending the night in Izmir, so I ended up taking the train home by myself. I was very proud of myself for figuring out which ones to take and which stops to get off at, so that I got home with no problem. I also had a realization while on my way home of how much being here has already changed me. I just realized that I was alone navigating the train and bus system in a language I don't really know, when last year, I probably wouldn't have even been comfortable taking the train to Santa Fe by myself. Being here has made me so much more confident and independent, and I really love that.


Me under my first olive tree getting the olives off the ground. 


All of the olives we combed off a tree before we put them in one of the big bags. 


All of us there for olive picking. 

          I also started Turkish lessons which are desperately needed and therefore greatly appreciated. Things here are slowly becoming normal. Now that I know when our Turkish classes are, I am going to try to set up volunteering for myself twice a week so that I will no longer just be sitting at home after school.


My birthday present for Leah. Due to my lack of any way to wrap it, I tried to tie a bow in the top and called it a win. 


I made friends with a dog. You can see the love in our expressions. 


I found a turkey in Turkey. 


A pretty sunset one night this week. 

          As always, thanks for reading. Have a great wherever you may be. Hoşçakal!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment