Thursday, March 26, 2015

Nevruz Kutlu Olsun and Other March Happenings

          March has brought many wonderful things to my life here, including some warmer weather which always makes me happy. I'm going to use this post to recap my month. Here we go. 
           I went on a ski trip to Uludağ with most of the other YES and NSLIY students. It was a very fast trip with us leaving Izmir Saturday night and returning late Sunday night after skiing all day Sunday. The weather was nice, although it was impossible to see at the top of one of the mountains because of very low clouds. Priya and I spent the day together and enjoyed talking to people who were on the lifts with us. Everyone was very interesting in why we were in Turkey and were very impressed that we spoke Turkish. We even made some friends who showed us how to get to the longest run in the mountain and stayed with us for a few runs. We also all loved getting to talk to the other people on the bus there and back. One of my favorite memories from the whole weekend was one of the guys we were talking to saying how we had changed his idea of what Americans are like. He said that before he met us he thought that Americans were always just thinking about themselves and never smiled but that after meeting us he knew that wasn't true. It made me so happy to know that I was able to change someone's idea of what Americans are like. 



We were driving down the mountain as the sun was setting and all the clouds were in the valley below us. The photo doesn't do it justice, but it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. 

           I officially became a Fenerbahçe fan when there was a Fenerbahçe vs. Galatasary soccer match. For those who don't know about the Turkish futbol scene (which I'm guessing is everyone), there are three big teams here: Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe, and Beşiktaş. The rivalries between these three teams is very serious, so whenever games between any of the teams happen, things get heated between the fans. My host dad is a Fenerbahçe fan and invited some of his friends (Galatasaray fans) and we got to watch the game. Fenerbahçe won so my host dad and I were both extremely happy and getting to see the extreme love for your soccer team in action was lots of fun for me. 
          My host family went on a day trip to a little coastal town right on the Aegean. Their bazaar was in full swing and everywhere you went people offered you bites of the food they were selling. I got to try some absolutely delicious foods and loved feeling so apart of the Turkish culture while I was there. 
          During this month was the first time that I have felt fairly comfortable speaking Turkish since I came here which was wonderful. I am finally able to understand most conversations and express myself on a variety of subjects. The joy that it brings me to be able to really connect with people and share more about my life and America is indescribable and I really feel that I am able to deepen my understanding of this culture now that I understand more. 
          I have continued to volunteer at the day home for older people every week. I love going there and hearing the stories of how Turkey used to be and how life used to be when they were my age. It's also so nice to be able to help out and brighten their days, while also brightening mine. 
          We commemorated the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of Çanakkale, during which the Turkish troops defeated the British. That battle was a very big deal for the Turks and was when Atatürk first began his rise to power. In remembrance, a presentation about the battles was given by students of my school. I loved watching the presentation and realizing how much history this country has been home to and I now get to see. 




          We celebrated the beginning of Spring, known as Nevruz here. We celebrated with different games in the shook garden, music, and some relaxing. It was fun to see everyone playin the games and I even got to play a game of Tug of War with the other 11th graders. 



I had a wonderful March and I'm so excited to see what April will bring. Thanks for reading! Have a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment