Saturday, March 14, 2015

What I've Learned About Family

            The first thing that pops into my head when I think of family is naturally my sisters and parents. And then shortly after that, my many, many aunts, uncles, and cousins, and my grandmother and grandfather. Between both of my parents having multiple siblings with kids, some of whom now have their own kids, my family is pretty big. And I love it that way. Because I have baby cousins to play with and older cousins who give me their old clothes and I always know that there are so many people out there rooting for me. As I consider different colleges I may attend, I’ve realized that in most of the US, I would be relatively close to some of my family, and I’m really lucky for that.
                But all those people aren’t the only ones that I consider to be my family. My summer and high school swim team, my cross country team, the girls who I did ballet with, the distance runners on the track team, my friends at school. I consider every single one of those people another family to me. I have so many memories with each of those groups, and I spent so much time with each of them, that they feel like a family to me.
                And the 6 people who accompanied me here, and who have been by my side for this entire crazy adventure are as much a family to me as any of those other groups. Because they are the ones who have seen me at my worst and laughed with me at my happiest. They are the ones who I complain to and I am the one they gripe to. They understand this adventure I am on because they are on one a lot like it. And I am so incredibly thankful for the little family I have found in them.
                And of course, I have a new family in my host family here. These people who decided they wanted to let me take up room in their house and eat their food before they had ever met me will always be my second family. They’ve taken care of me when I’ve been sick, helped me learn Turkish, laughed with me when I’ve done something hilarious yet again, taken me to so many incredible places in this country, and most importantly, taken me in as one of their sisters and daughters. I came to their house six months ago today, and in that time, this apartment and this family have become home to me, and I will never stop being grateful for that.

                I’ve learned that family doesn’t necessarily have to be the people who are related to you by blood, but are always the people who love you, even in your not so nice moments. I am so lucky to have so many different families and I am thankful to each of them for supporting me and for teaching me different things. And I am so thankful to Turkey for giving me two new families; my host family and the other exchange students here. 


My lovely cross country family. 


My exchange family. 


And my real family. 




No comments:

Post a Comment